Hello kids! The story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego is an interesting and inspiring one. Long ago, Nebuchadnezzar (the king of Babylon), defeated Jehoiakim (king of Judah) and took some of the objects from the temple of God. Nebuchadnezzar also instructed that some of the Israelites from the royal family and of noble descent should be brought into the king’s service.
These young men were without physical weaknesses, handsome, gifted in all wisdom, having knowledge and quick to understand, men that can be taught the language and literature of the Babylonians (Daniel 1:4). Among those that were chosen from Judah were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah.
FUN FACTS ABOUT SHADRACH, MESHACH, AND ABEDNEGO
- Babylon, Hananiah was called Shadrach, Mishael was called Meshach, and Azariah was called Abednego (Daniel 1:7).
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, along with Daniel, refused to eat the king’s food and drink the royal wine (Daniel 1:8). They ate only vegetables and water.
- God gave them knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning (Daniel 1:17).
- The king appointed Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego administrators over the province of Babylon (Daniel 2:49).
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were unwilling to give up their faith even in the face of death (Daniel 3:16-18). They refused to bow to the king’s golden image.
- Nebuchadnezzar was very angry with the three Jews, and ordered that they should be thrown into a fire heated seven times hotter than usual (Daniel 3:19).
- The strong men that threw them into the fire were burnt, but the three Jews were not burnt.
- A fourth person appeared in their midst, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God (Daniel 3:25).
- Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire unharmed (Daniel 3:27).
- 2 Corinthians 5:7- “For we walk by faith, not by sight.”
- Luke 17:19- “And He said to him, Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”
- Proverbs 28:20- “A faithful man will abound with blessings, but he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.”
- Isaiah 54:17- “No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn.